Thursday, July 9, 2009

Part 1 of 3: Life, Death and Faith

People that have known me since childhood know that I’ve been going to church since the beginning of time. Every Sunday we'd have pancakes and head to church. As I got older I was lucky enough to go to church camps where I found a great group of kids my age who shared similar beliefs. The church camps and the various church sponsored trips played a large role in the development of my faith and belief in God. As I entered my college days, I didn’t attend church regularly and never thought too much about God, faith, and everything that comes with it. Yet never once did it cross my mind that God was not present in my life and I never questioned the faith that had been instilled in me.

I’m not one to preach the word of God to others but rather lead by example; even then I have my faults and sin as much as the next man.

If you’ve followed this blog for any amount of time you’ll know that death seems to be very evident in our life. Before I began this blog, my Nana (my dad’s mother) passed away in August 2007. My sister in law, Nicole, died in January 2008. In February 2008, we lost a dear friend, Debra Chopel. Early in the summer of 2008, a family friend and the mother to two girls I used to baby sit died. In August 2008, my husband's best friend, HeeJun, died in an accident. A little boy, the son of a friend, died in October 2008 after an almost three year struggle with a heart condition. My Granny (my mom’s mother) passed away in November 2008.

Before August 2007, my view of death was much different. It was a sad event, but never one that really made me think about life, death, and how these events play into my faith.

Every death has it's own story. For my Grandmothers, they lived long and productive lives: marriage, children, grandchildren, love and life. They had stories to tell, 70 plus years of stories to tell. Sure I miss them. I see a lemon pound cake and it takes me back to when I was seven years old in my Nana’s kitchen. A trip back home just doesn't seem complete without a stop at Granny’s house to show off my little ones. While I miss them all the time, it was easier to cope because they had lived long lives and when their time came, they were ready for the next phase of their journey.
To be continued...

Bare with me. I am going somewhere with this I promise. I'm just not a fan for super long blog posts; I feel like the message gets lost in a post like that. So I'll try to keep mine some what short.
~ Amanda

2 comments:

Tiff said...

WOW! MC, this is AWESOME! I can't wait to hear the next stage!!! I'm SO glad that you have once again found your faith, or more less rekindled the childhood love you had for Christ. God is SO good! I remember a while back you were looking for churches that fit your family and I'm SO thankful that you are where you need to be! Seriously, this post gave me chills - I loved it!!!

Chillin' with Lemonade said...

wow. sigh. wow. I wanted to write, "You love Jesus? Me, too!" as a cute little joke. Then I deleted that and now I don't know what to write. But I'm glad you're on this journey, too.

Do you remember driving in the backseat of HeeJun's accord while HeeJ and Matt discussed Jesus and their faith?