Alright so...we've moved into December.
I turned 33 on December 7.
Monday, December 9, at 34 weeks, I started having menstrual type cramps while at work. They subsided some but by Tuesday they were back with some regularity and were somewhat uncomfortable. I called my OB and they had me come in. While there, they found that I was measuring small so I was sent to a high risk OB for an ultrasound. As for the cramping, I was told I was 2cm dilated so my doctor decided to take me out of work (allowing me to only work from home) until I delivered. She said her goal was to get me to 36 weeks.
I turned 33 on December 7.
Monday, December 9, at 34 weeks, I started having menstrual type cramps while at work. They subsided some but by Tuesday they were back with some regularity and were somewhat uncomfortable. I called my OB and they had me come in. While there, they found that I was measuring small so I was sent to a high risk OB for an ultrasound. As for the cramping, I was told I was 2cm dilated so my doctor decided to take me out of work (allowing me to only work from home) until I delivered. She said her goal was to get me to 36 weeks.
The next day I went for the ultrasound where I learned that the baby had what is called an Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR). She was measuring in the 4th percentile overall, but her belly was in the 1st percentile. Based on this diagnosis and the cramping/contractions I had been having, I was told a modified bedrest needed to happen and I would have ultrasounds twice a week along with non stress tests to make sure the baby was fine. I was also told that they would induce me at 37 weeks if I could make it that far.
Cue the stress and anxiety...between the death of my Dad, the risks associated with an IUGR baby, work, and just life in general - I was a mess. I had just lost my Dad, I couldn't lose my baby too (IUGR babies have a higher rate of fetal demise). As the days and weeks passed, I became more comfortable with the baby's condition and the fact that I was going to be induced. If it meant delivering a healthy baby, I would do whatever the OB told me.
I continued to work from home and over the course of a couple weeks my employer started to shift some of the work load off of me. Once this happened, and as time progressed and I made it further along, baby E started to get a little bigger and my anxiety started to lessen. But let me tell you, after having to pack your hospital bag for EVERY doctor's visit (3 a week mind you), you get tired. You're ready to have this baby. You're ready to not be in limbo anymore. It's safe to say, I probably wasn't much fun to be around during this time.
Throw in Christmas and all it's hoopla, the loss of my dad, being very pregnant, and the kids being tracked out of school during the month of December while I'm unexpectedly working from home full time and for the first time in my life - I was just ready for Christmas to be over. But you can't feel this way when you have two very excited kids at home. So I went through the motions and made it through. Sadly the few pictures I have from Christmas serve as evidence as to how I really felt about the season this year.
Cue the stress and anxiety...between the death of my Dad, the risks associated with an IUGR baby, work, and just life in general - I was a mess. I had just lost my Dad, I couldn't lose my baby too (IUGR babies have a higher rate of fetal demise). As the days and weeks passed, I became more comfortable with the baby's condition and the fact that I was going to be induced. If it meant delivering a healthy baby, I would do whatever the OB told me.
I continued to work from home and over the course of a couple weeks my employer started to shift some of the work load off of me. Once this happened, and as time progressed and I made it further along, baby E started to get a little bigger and my anxiety started to lessen. But let me tell you, after having to pack your hospital bag for EVERY doctor's visit (3 a week mind you), you get tired. You're ready to have this baby. You're ready to not be in limbo anymore. It's safe to say, I probably wasn't much fun to be around during this time.
Throw in Christmas and all it's hoopla, the loss of my dad, being very pregnant, and the kids being tracked out of school during the month of December while I'm unexpectedly working from home full time and for the first time in my life - I was just ready for Christmas to be over. But you can't feel this way when you have two very excited kids at home. So I went through the motions and made it through. Sadly the few pictures I have from Christmas serve as evidence as to how I really felt about the season this year.
**I've backed dated a few posts due to my OCD; this post was originally composed in late February and early March 2014.
No comments:
Post a Comment