Sunday, December 18, 2011

I'm all baked out

I'm kinda glad I  only feel the need to bake a couple times of year...and I'm glad I've gotten it out of my system for a good, long while.

We set out to bake four different goodies and four different goodies we made. It actually worked out better than I thought since Savannah didn't want anything to do with baking Saturday. That was okay because Caedmon was a great baking companion. I'll just say there wasn't a lack of conversation {and it might have been a one sided conversation...and it wasn't me talking}.

Saturday we conquered Andes Mint Chocolate Cookies and Peanut Butter Preztel Bites {dipped in chocolate as Caedmon tells everyone}.

The Mint cookies were easy peasy. It's pretty much a no fail recipe. Caedmon was a great helper by taking off the mint wrappers, although he probably ate half of what he unwrapped.



The Peanut Butter Preztel bites were fairly easy as well. I'm not sure my peanut butter mixture was as smooth and creamy as it should have been, but I was able to 'ball it up' and it stayed together without an issue. Again this was a great, kid friendly recipe because Caedmon could help by setting out the pretzels for the bottom piece and was able to put the top pretzel on and 'sandwich' everything together. Instead of using chocolate chips and a double boiler, I opted for the microwavable, dipping chocolates that you can buy in the microwave safe containers. I believe we made about 37 preztel bites and by 27 I was starting to run out of melted chocolate. They would have turned out a bit better if I didn't have to skimp on the chocolate for the last 10 or so.



Savannah and I got an early start Sunday on the other two cookies. Typically I can't bake when she's around. She's asking for OJ, or she's hungry, or she wants to pour or she needs something.all.the.time!!! Today, there was none of that. We got right down to business working on Sour Cream Cookies {basically a sugar cookie, just not quite as sweet} and White Chocolate topped Gingerbread Cookies.

The Sour Cream Cookies were a breeze to make; however, you do have to let the dough sit for 1-2 hours in the fridge before you can roll them out. Once we had the dough in the fridge, we started working on the Gingerbread cookies.

Side note: I find it hilarious that anytime we have something that Savannah doesn't want to try she will tell me she tried it once at school. Sour Cream, Sav? No! I had that at school.  Molasses, Sav? No, I've tried that before and didn't like it. Let me guess, at school? Yeap!

We mixed the dough for the Gingerbread cookies, wrapped it up in plastic wrap and set it in the fridge for 4 hours.

After a bit it was time to cut out the sour cream cookies. Caedmon helped long enough to get his hands completely sticky with dough and to cut out one cookie. Savannah hung in there for about 3/4 of it, which was fine with me. Just the mess alone was enough to give me anxiety and want to scratch the whole thing. But I pushed through. I didn't even bother to call the kids down when it was time to ice them.


I admit the White Chocolate topped Gingerbread Cookies are my favorite. They are just beautiful, no other way to describe them. They were very easy to make as well. Once they had been in the fridge for 4 hours, I rolled the dough into little 1" balls while Caedmon rolled the balls through sugar and put them on the cookie sheet. They baked for about 8 minutes; then I promptedly removed them and immediated topped them with 4-5 white chocolate chips. B-E-A-utiful.


Gingerbread is such a mystery to me. My kids talk all season long about making gingerbread cookies, but once they are made and they actually taste them, they spit them out faster than they tried to taste them.

So there you have it, my cookie review.

My favorite was the Gingerbread. Caedmon's favorite was a tie between the Andes Mint Chocolate cookie and the Peant Butter Pretzel Bites. Savannah's and Sophia's (our 4 yr old neighbor) favorite cookie was the pink (suppsed to be red), star shaped Sour Cream cookie.  Matt has yet to have any so his vote is still out.

Two posts in a weekend y'all, consider yourself lucky!

No comments: