Saturday, June 25, 2011

This is how I know I'm getting older...

I guess there comes a time in your life when you just accept that time isn't slowing down and you're only getting older. I can't decide if I'm trying to slow the process, be healthier (mentally and physically) or fight the aging process, but this is how I know I'm getting older:
  • I find myself choosing water (occasionally unsweet tea) over diet drinks.
  • I intentionally get up earlier than the rest of my house so that I can have a few minutes to be with myself (hence why it's 7:15am on a Saturday and I'm typing this)
  • I'm buying nuts and unsalted ones (ha!). They say cranberries are good antioxidants...why not cranberries and almonds together! I then consider it a treat.
  • I'm reading books that aren't considered Chick Lit in an attempt to make myself a better employee, parent, spouse. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy, something say ... along the lines of Twilight.
  • Slowly but surely I'm finding my voice and learning to use it. The worst that can happen is someone tells me No, but I'll never know if I don't ask.
  • I'm learning how to give productive feedback rather than just complaining about something. With that comes offering solutions, not just problems.
  • I work out to set a good example for my children, to keep my body strong and healthy, to clear my head and refocus my energy.
  • Then there is sunscreen...I've finally realized I don't want to encourage wrinkles or get skin cancer.
  • This one cracks me up...I've debated a third child for a long time, listening to my heart and not really my head. Last night as I was doing laundry for like the 3rd time this week and I found myself thinking...I don't know if I could handle a third. I don't think I could balance the housework with a family of five, still work full time, and keep the same lifestyle we currently enjoy. What? Did I just step beyond my own selfish desires and find an actual reason why a third might not be the best idea for us? Me? The one who has never wanted only two children..oh my, who am I?
I'm not sure when I got old; maybe I'm just growing up.

PS. What is the average # of loads of laundry per week for a family of four? I swear we do about eight loads.

2 comments:

gigi said...

Perhaps maturing is a better description rather than growing older of how, what and why one does things differently at different stages of our lives. Age is a state of mind. Love and hugs, Mom

Crissie said...

Only 8 loads?!?! I feel like it's double that sometimes...

Thanks for the laundry list of reasons people should not procreate for a third time...I'm going to go find a closet to cry in... LOL :-)