was this stinking cast!
Our actually it's our first trip to the ER as parents. Four years without an ER visit; we consider that pretty good!
We were in our backyard yesterday with our neighbors just letting the kids play. In fact I think we had just discussed how easy the kids were at this age - letting them play in the backyard, chasing each other, riding their bikes down the hill - it's very little maintenance on our part.
Our actually it's our first trip to the ER as parents. Four years without an ER visit; we consider that pretty good!
We were in our backyard yesterday with our neighbors just letting the kids play. In fact I think we had just discussed how easy the kids were at this age - letting them play in the backyard, chasing each other, riding their bikes down the hill - it's very little maintenance on our part.
Of course we jinxed it! Our neighbor's daughter was on the middle seat of our Little Tykes See Saw and Savannah jumped on the back. Before I could get the words "you're going to tip over" out of my mouth, the slow motion began. We watched as the front end of the see saw begin to rise up and Savannah's end started to get lower and lower. Next thing we knew the girls were on the cement. Sophia landed just a bit on top of Savannah (poor girl has quite the goose egg on her head) and Savannah landed flat on her back. Never once did it cross my mind that she could have hurt herself anywhere other than her head.
Of course they cried and Savannah kept on crying. She'd skipped her nap yesterday so I assumed she was exhausted. We tried to cuddle her; she cried. We bathed her; she cried. We told her to stop crying; she cried harder. Finally we just put her to bed. She stopped crying. A bit later Matt heard her crying so he brought her down. Shortly after that I noticed she was holding her hand weird; her fingers were dangling a bit and she told me she needed a band aid on her arm. Finally I told Matt I thought something was wrong with her wrist. After another hour of calling my mom, discussing it with Matt and speaking with the Pediatrician we decided to head to the ER.
3 Xrays and a hefty co-pay later, she's got a soft cast and a sling. She has a fracture of the Radius bone. It's pretty much on the bone tip so the Doctor called it a broken wrist. We'll be calling the Orthopedic this morning and later this week, after the swelling has gone down, she'll be in a hard cast for 6-8 weeks. She was such a trooper at the hospital. She didn't cry once, she did everything everyone asked of her. As she told me last night when we got home, she is a "tough girl."
To make matters worse, she fell out of her bed this morning - right onto her wrist. Yeah, we'll be getting her prescription for baby pain meds filled today. Girlfriend was NOT happy.



3 comments:
I was holding my breath when I saw "ER" in the title! Oh man, I hate that for Savannah, but she sure sounds tough little girl! Glad she's okay.
Poor S, but then again, if this is your first ER visit, you're doing good. Our first was when Nixon was two weeks old and we had to go by ambulance. Very scary! I'm glad she's a tough girl. I'm sure she'll recover very soon!
Oh dear! I started crying when I read what happened! POor Sass! Did Matt get to tell her his ER stories to help her feel better? I'm hoping for video of her all doped up on pain meds next...
Post a Comment