Yesterday Caedmon choked on a piece of sausage (it was a sausage patty, not link sausage surprisingly). Per my normal routine I checked on him last night before I went to bed. He was still awake, barely. Half asleep he sat up and told me he'd had a bad dream. He told me he dreamt he choked on sausage again. In my attempt to comfort him I told him a little story about how when I was a young girl I choked on a hard shell taco at Taco Bell. Gigi (my mom) had to help me get the crunchy shell out of my mouth (I skipped the part about the heimlich manuever fearing it may scare him even more). I was trying to help him understand that choking is a scary thing, but most of the time we get that food out. I was trying to reassure him by letting him know it'd happened to me a long time ago and I was okay; so he shouldn't be scared. Honestly, I think he was more interested in the fact that there was a Taco Bell when I was little, but I digress.
Instead what I did was create another fear in him. Sometime during the night I rolled over to find my 4 year old starring down at me. I asked him what was wrong and he said he'd had a bad dream that he'd choked on a taco.
Sigh! I just told him to climb in.
Instead what I did was create another fear in him. Sometime during the night I rolled over to find my 4 year old starring down at me. I asked him what was wrong and he said he'd had a bad dream that he'd choked on a taco.
Sigh! I just told him to climb in.
1 comment:
Poor little buddy! Gosh choking really is super scary!.... but I had to laugh at the end... so cute!
Post a Comment