Wednesday, July 2, 2008

And my streak continues

Monday night Matt asked that I make him some Macaroni & cheese. I was pretty much finished making it, but I still had the sauce pan on the burner so the frozen stick of butter I put in there would melt.

Matt came in and took over. The next thing I knew the pot was in the sink and I was cleaning the dishes and counters. Less than an hour later I started to smell this stinky awfulness. It smelled like burnt amoxicillian (that is the only way to describe it and I've never even smelled burnt amoxcillin).

So I lit a couple Yankee candles thinking that would take care of it. By the time I went to bed, the smell was still hanging around.

I woke yesterday to Caedmon crying (it was around 5:30am). When I get into his room the first thing I notice is that I can smell it in his room. About 1/2 an hour later I'm back downstairs getting ready for work and I notice you can smell it in our bedroom and I could smell it in the shower.

I got to work and Matt called around 8:30. I told him that I thought something had died in our house. He said he'd look around, but he didn't really smell anything (I don't know how he didn't smell it). A couple seconds later my phone rings again and it's Matt. I had left the gas burner on ALL NIGHT LONG.

So I mention this to my co worker, and he's response is..."You are lucky you didn't blow up your house and that smell is sulfur." Who knew?

So I called Matt and asked him to pack the kids up, take them to breakfast at McD's and then keep them out of the house for the day. He opened the windows and turned the fans on to air out the house.

Then my genius self decided to 'google' the effects of this. OMG I was about in tears. I won't even type out what could have happened . Then I start to panic that I may have poisoned my children so I call the pediatrician and the nurse takes the information and says she'll call back.

About 15 minutes later she does and she tells me she called poison control. They said we had taken the proper steps at this point and as long as the children were awake and acting normal then we were out of danger. I was freaking crying on the phone w/ the nurse while sitting at my desk at work. I just felt like the worse mother ever!

By the time we got back in the house yesterday (around 430), the smell was gone and everyone is back to acting like their normal, tantrum throwing selves! :)

I'll post some pictures tonight so you know the kids are okay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still laugh my butt off when I see Matt push Caedmon's head down in the slip n slide video! Too funny! Great pics - you look fabulous as always and the kids are just too cute. Savy's is getting so big too. Congrats to Matt on the job with the po-po. Good luck!