Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I am just amazed...

Let me start by giving you some background. Nicole, Matt's sister, had a dog named Charly. Charly lived at Donna's house along with 2 to 3 other dogs. Charly died about a month ago; close to 6 weeks after Nicole died.

The day after Charly died I was on the way to Donna's to drop the kids off. Caedmon and I were talking about the dogs at Nonni's house and I asked him which one was his favorite.

His reply "Charly".

I then went on to tell him that Charly has gone to be with Aunt Nicole in Heaven and won't be playing at Nonni's house anymore. I continued to tell him that it was okay though because at night when the stars were twinkling that was Aunt Nicole and Charly saying hi to us.

Caedmon looked at me like I had four heads and after a few seconds he replied "Nooooooooo" (as if he was saying Lady you are crazy and that is the dumbest story I have ever heard).

Fast forward to this morning: I was getting Caedmon dressed and we were once again talking about going to Nonni's and playing with Jake, the dog. He pipes up "Charly". I told him that Charly didn't live at Nonni's house anymore.

He replied "stars".

I said that is right, Charly is now a twinkling star in the sky at night. I asked if he knew who else was a star.

His response "Cole".

It was a moment of mixed emotions: happiness and pride that he is so smart and really does listen to us (although I have my doubts most of the time), but sadness and heart ache that he will never get to know his Aunt Nicole.

No comments: