It always amazes me how quickly the newborn phase goes by. February started with a tiny newborn and ended with a giant (to me anyway) real baby.
Most of February was spent with Caedmon & Savannah being out of school for snow.
My 6 week postpartum appointment was scheduled for mid February. I knew what HR had told me was too good to be true so I followed up with HR only to get confirmation that they had told me wrong. So instead of taking 12 weeks (paid in some percentage), I went back to work when Emory was just over 7 weeks old. Heartbroken doesn't even begin to describe how I felt when I decided I couldn't take the next five weeks off without pay. I couldn't drain our measly savings account just so I could stay home for five more weeks. I mean when you think about Emory's adjusted age, she was only 4 weeks old. We weren't even sleeping in 3 hour blocks; she was just beginning to smile...there were so many milestones I was looking forward to having with her. Plus, she's just so small.
My 6 week postpartum appointment was scheduled for mid February. I knew what HR had told me was too good to be true so I followed up with HR only to get confirmation that they had told me wrong. So instead of taking 12 weeks (paid in some percentage), I went back to work when Emory was just over 7 weeks old. Heartbroken doesn't even begin to describe how I felt when I decided I couldn't take the next five weeks off without pay. I couldn't drain our measly savings account just so I could stay home for five more weeks. I mean when you think about Emory's adjusted age, she was only 4 weeks old. We weren't even sleeping in 3 hour blocks; she was just beginning to smile...there were so many milestones I was looking forward to having with her. Plus, she's just so small.
Luckily, my boss, who is super awesome and may not completely understand me but does a good job at pretending, worked it out so I could work from home full time until I am scheduled to return to work. I'm not even handling my own inventory right now - just helping out where ever I am needed. So while it sucks to share my time at home, it was the best decision for my family. I'll officially return to the office March 31. However, my Mother in Law, Father in Law, and mom have come together and will be watching Emory a few hours each day so I can get some solid work in.
On February 24 we had Emory's 8 week check up. She weighed 8lbs, 7oz and was 19.5" long. This put her about 5th percentile for weight and not even on the charts for height, but she's growing. Every time I go out people comment on how small she is. One lady recently asked if she was two weeks old. Uh, no 8.
I began weaning Emory around 7 weeks as well. I think we're all a little happier with this decision. I don't have the personality to sit and nurse on demand for an hour at a time (yes, it took her that long). She seems fuller as well and while nights aren't great around here they're better since she's been on formula.
We also celebrated Caedmon's 8th birthday this month. I'll give him a separate post dedicated to him; he deserves it!
February in photos--
Selfies!
It's twisted of me, but every now and then I like taking a picture of her when she's so worked up.
Lots of snuggles and rocking! She loves to be rocked.
I forgot how much fun blow outs can be. I just gave her a bath after this one; it was easier than using wipes.
Randoms...just because she's cute!
She often folds her hands together while she's eating. I absolutely love it.
This is how you manage a snow day with three kids and a husband at work. One played outside with neighbors, while I played mancala with Savannah and Emory slept (briefly).
Getting big!
About the time I started weaning her she broke out with a horrible face rash. We initially thought it might be a milk intolerance but we finally got a direct answer from the pediatrician. She said it is seborrheic dermatitis which is basically the same thing as cradle cap but on her face. A little hydrocortisone cream 1-2 times/day has cleared it right up.
More Randoms...
My mom, aka Gigi, with her two newest grandbabies. Ethan was born two weeks to the day (almost to the minute) before Emory was born.
This is how Daddy rolls when watching Emory...nothing like a little video gaming and baby sitting. Multi-tasking at its best.
Seriously...Sav can't get enough. Look at how lovingly she looks at Em.
My sister sent me her moby wrap. Yay for hands free!
Multi-tasking Mom! We didn't have childcare lined up the first week I returned to work (due to the short notice of my return) so this is how I rolled some days.
Miss E at her 8 week check up!
Sweet sleeping angel
Passed out milk drunk!
Sav and Em
Show off!
I love this one! It's my lock screen saver on my phone. Perfection!
The Baby Whisperer strikes again!
Whew! Seriously, I think I'm caught up. Maybe?? Next time I won't wait four months to blog. Seriously though, check back soon and I promise more frequent updates.
No comments:
Post a Comment