Sunday, November 20, 2011

Beach weekend

One of the advantages to the OBX race is that it falls every year on Veteran's Day weekend, which means a long weekend away. We rent a house and fill it full; the more the merrier.

Friday we headed out, stopping at the Expo to pick up our race packets. We checked into the house, unpacked, went to the store, and ordered pizza.

Saturday morning Matt and my mother in law ran the 8k. Matt's goal was to finish within 40 minutes and he surpassed his goal with 38 minutes and some change. When I saw him entering the track I could tell he was hurting. He runs often, he runs fast (well faster than me) but I could tell by his gait and by the grimace on his face that he had given it his all.

 {pre-race}


The Saturday morning races go on forever, to include a Fun Run, a 5k, a 8k a Diaper Dash (whatever that is) along with face painting, bounce houses, popcorn stands, you name it they have it.


{i love this picture of savannah; it captures her personality perfectly.}

 {natalie, my god-daughter, getting a ride from her dad}

             { he was born a pirate. argh!!}

We headed back to the house for a big bruch and then made our way down to the beach for a bit. Afterall, you can't go to the beach and not go to the beach!

 {joel, age 5}

 {miss natalie, age 2}

 {my kids with uncle garrett}

 {camryn, age 4}

 {sissy sav showing off. by this point they were completely saturated}

  {natalie and amanda}  



 {i can't believe how quickly these boys are growing up}



We also went to Jockey's Ridge. Nothing says a good time like eating sand and carrying kids up and down sand dunes!




 {yes, my face was covered with sand. mental note, don't laugh when rolling down a sand dune}

 {like mother like son}


Saturday night we hosted a big pasta dinner for our household and some of Matt's co-workers that were also running Sunday. Once we were all fat and happy, bedtime followed soon after. I had a 4:50am wake up call!

I had the privilage to complete this run with one of my best friends, Amanda. In my race recap I didn't have pictures of her as she finished the race, but I do now! She did great. She was somewhere around 2:04, which is quite impressive!!


I don't know about you but this was a really big blog post and I'm kind of done with the computer for now and you're probably tired of hearing about this OBX weekend.

Have a great week!


No comments: