Friday, January 29, 2010

Confession

A storm is coming. A snow storm. Matt's still out of state and his return flight leaves at 5:30pm Saturday and isn't suppose to arrive home until midnight (and I'm sure that will be delayed).

The snow and ice should start late tonight. They are calling for 5-10 inches of snow with it switching over to ice before tapering off.

We don't have a lot of winter weather here, but what I do know from previous storms is that the ice storm is the part you should fear: power outages, fallen trees/limbs, dangerous driving conditions, etc.

So I'll be home, alone with two small children. I'm praying the power does not go out. I'm praying none of the dead trees on our neighbor's property succumb to the weight of the ice. I pray Matt's flight arrives safely (and timely would be nice, but I know otherwise). I pray for my sanity.

I've done as much as I can to prepare for going this storm alone. We did our grocery shopping yesterday, rented a few movies, and filled my car up with gas. During my lunch hour today I'm going to get batteries, a few extra candles and I'm going to attempt to find a sled (or something similar).

So now we wait.

3 comments:

Jenn Sugg said...

You guys are going to do fine! You're a survivor.

And you're always welcome to come crash with us but then you'll miss out on all the snow...

Have fun!!

Katie Lewis said...

Remember the big ice storm in 2002? Where no one had power for two weeks? Fred left two weeks before that and we survived. :) You'll be fine - the kids won't notice anything wrong, it'll be an adventure. Just have some footy pjs, lots of hot chocolate and have fun.

Tiff said...

BIG trash can tops work great for sleds... they are like the old school saucers we used to have. Sleep down stairs and make a "fort" with chairs and sheets and sleeping bags... not only will the kids love it, but God forbid a tree fell on the house atleast you would be safer down stairs. Hang in there Mc!