Wednesday, July 1, 2009

In other news

Savannah woke up yesterday from her nap with a pea size blister on her finger. When I initally saw it I thought it was a booger (haha, they're both suffering from summer colds). Then I touched it and it sure wasn't a booger (only a parent would go in to grab a booger bare handed). Then my next thought was a wart. I curiously thought to myself "how could a wart pop up in a matter of 2.5 hours and man that is one BIG wart."

So I called Matt to look at it and upon examining it in better light it was a puss filled blister with a brown spot on the top. I asked Matt "should we pop it." His response, "heck no, we're calling Dr B." Of course he was thinking spider bite, brown recluse of course {grin}.

One hour and $65 later, it was determined to be some sort of cut, an ingrown cuticle or something that got infected. Apparently the conditions were perfect in her room during nap to for it to fester up {gross I know, puss and festering...gag}.

Why $65 you ask? Well there is the $20 co-pay for Dr Gigi to bust the blister and wrap a bandaid around her finger while Savannah cried like you were ripping her toe nails off one by one. But the clincher came when we went to the Target pharmacy to pick up an antibiotic cream Dr Gigi had called in and an antibiotic just to be safe. Of course BCBS has free generic anitbiotics right now at Target, but either there wasn't a generic for the cream or they were out....$45 for a tube of what I would consider to be neosporin. In sticker shock, I swipe my card all the while thinking "her finger better turn out scar free, the prettiest darn finger ever"....

Looking back, I should have just said "No thanks, we'll take the antibiotic but not the cream" and just given her the liquid antibiotic and kept her finger clean and wrapped.

Oh well, maybe next time I'll get it right.

~ Amanda

2 comments:

Brianne said...

Awwww, poor thing! :( I hate when that kind of stuff happens. You know they are sick, you have this feeling that it's nothing.....but everyone looks at you like you are crazy for not taking them to the dr. So, you cave, and you find out it REALLY was nothing. Nothing major, anyway. You ought to have that finger insured...maybe Sav will grow up to be a hand model as a side job!

Crissie said...

LOL...

I get the same thing at the vet..."Here's Kasey's antibiotic...yours for the bargain price of $110!!!"

Glad it wasn't a brown recluse!! HA ha ha....