Over Easter weekend (and during Caedmon's Spring Break) we headed to upstate NY to Matt's Grandma's house. We last visited in November 2009 - you can imagine how much the kids have grown since the last time Uma saw them.
We left Thursday around 5:30pm and drove through the night. Around 7pm, I gave them each a dose of benedryl (don't judge...) and by 8:30pm they were both asleep and slept right on through to Uma's; it was close to 3:30am when we arrived. The kids went right back to sleep but unfortunately they were both up bright and early at 7:30am.
I learned that my kids quickly get cabin fever when trapped in a house with very few toys. We took a lot of walks, rolled down the hill in Uma's backyard, hid Easter eggs again and again, visited with Matt's cousins, played Twister, dyed Easter eggs, ate, and ate, and ate (No lie! I gained 3lbs in 4 days). But it was wonderful visiting with Uma. Both Matt and I wish it were easier (schedule wise and distance wise) to see her. For 92 years old, the lady has spunk and is such a joy to be around.
We left Monday around lunch time. The one thing the kids really wanted to do on our way home was to see the Statue of Liberty. We took a detour to Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ and surprised the kids with (a back side) view of the Statue of Liberty. I wish I had captured the expression on Caedmon's face when he saw the Statue of Liberty in front of him.
This detour was perfect timing as Caedmon had just started to complain about being car sick. No sooner than he told us this, he decided to show us how car sick he was. It was the worst. Thinking about it now makes me gag actually. Matt and I had a little miscommunication about what all was to be thrown away (yes, I just tossed the pillow and pillow case that Caedmon made his vomit target) and Caedmon's "Gigi blanket" got tossed out with the pillow. Luckily I asked about it before we had left the parking lot and yes, I did go dumpster diving to save Gigi blanket. Whew, crisis adverted.
Now that we know the kids are excellent travelers (DVDs and benedryl are a must) we won't wait another 2.5 years to visit again!
~Making Easter Eggs~
~Sweet, sweet Uma~
~Easter morning~
~Easter Egg Hunt~
The grown ups watching the littles as they find eggs
yes, he's from the south...barefoot in NY
~Good old Twister~
~Thoughtful Uma had a birthday cake made for Dean and Matt
and we celebrated their April birthdays after our Easter lunch~
~Uma with her Great Grandkids~
You can't tell from the picture, but she was fighting back tears as we said goodbye...which only made me tear up.
~Three generations: Uma, Dean, and Matt~
~Matt and cousin Kimberly~
~C&S say goodbye to their newfound 2nd cousin, Ashlyn~
~Statue of Liberty~
{it was incredibly windy at the water front}
No comments:
Post a Comment