Friday, June 3, 2011

WDW

Honestly after Caedmon's reaction to the news that we were taking them to WDW, the trip had no were to go but up and it definitely didn't disappoint!

We took an Amtrak train overnight to Kissimee, FL. It was supposed to be a 14 hour ride, that turned into a 17 hour ride (yikes is right!). Luckily C&S were real troopers and didn't loose their minds although Matt and I were about to! :)
To answer the most poplar questions ...
  • Yes, we would take a train again; however, it would not be our regular source of travel.
  • Trains are COLD!!!! Brrrrr COLD! It makes sense why they are so chilly (if it were warm the germs would spread like cRaZy), but I hate being cold and I was very cold. I do believe Snuggies might have been made just for train rides (too bad I didn't bring mine).
  • Bathrooms...they were relatively clean. I've definitely been in worse.
  • We traveled coach, which meant we did not have a sleeping car. The seats recline to about a 45 degree angle, there are leg rests as well as foot rests. You can get very cozy and it is possible to sleep if you can sleep in a non prone position. The kids slept great (we did give them Benedryl prior to each trip). I slept fairly well and Matt slept pretty poorly.
  • The return trip wasn't as delayed as the trip to Kissimee; however, I do believe about 75% of the time the trains are delayed so if you travel by train keep this in mind!
We stayed downtown Disney at the Royal Plaza Hotel. It was a nice hotel with nice accommodations. The on site restaurant, Giraffe Cafe, did have kids eat free with a paying adult all day. This was a great deal since we ate breakfast there daily. They offer a breakfast buffet for $14.95/pp and includes coffee, juice, milk, waffles, eggs/omelets, hash browns, sausage, bacon, grits, oatmeal, granola, fresh fruit, muffins, toast, danishes, cereals...you name it - they had it and it was delicious!!! Also, check out restaurants.com prior to booking your next trip. I bought two coupons for $2/each for the Giraffe Cafe for $25 off when you spend $35; needless to say we had breakfast for 4 for $10 plus tip a couple times. The kids also enjoyed the outdoor pool! The pool was incredible at the end of a long day! We could come home and take a quick dip in the pool or hot tub....very enjoyable for everyone.

Animal Kingdom: This was probably our least favorite park. If we could have done it all over, we'd skip AK and make sure we hit Epcot. However, the kids did enjoy some face painting.



Animal Kingdom was our first stop on our trip; we had no idea what to expect so we didn't plan our trip out as well as we should have/could have. We were still figuring out the Fast Pass thing and deciding where/what everyone wanted to do. Honestly, we left feeling like a trip to the local zoo would have been pretty close to the same, if not better.

 We did get to meet Pocahontas though, which made AK totally worth it!


 My Dad dared Matt to get the Big Dino face...Poppy Joe ended up paying up!

As you can imagine I have a lot more photos and blogging to do, but it's getting late and this will definitely be a two, maybe 3 parter!

1 comment:

Graceandjoelroberts said...

I love it! Especially the last picture of Matt. Glad to know that about AK, and about the train ride. 17 hours! Yikes!!