Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dentist, Thumbs & Pacis...Oh My!

Well we survived. Actually the kids did great. Savannah was a champ at the Dentist. The hygenist engaged her in conversations about princesses and the dental tools and Sav bought it hook, line and sinker! It was so funny to sit back and listen to her talk to a stranger. She was able to answer all the Hygenist's questions; she turned into a little person, spoke of her of likes and dislikes, and remembered to use her manners. She made Momma proud! She has 20 teeth and even let them go through with a quick cleaning. The cherry to her cake was when they gave her a goodie bag and let her choose which Princess toothbrush she wanted. Calm down folks, she picked Belle.


Caedmon was awesome as well. He was a bit hesitant, but warmed right up. Apparenlty, despite the amout of noise the kid makes, he has a small mouth. Even his baby teeth are crowded up next to each other. Because of this the Hygentist did a flouride treatment on his to help get in between the teeth and oh I don't know...do some other flouride treatment things (in other words I missed the conversation she had with Matt when she explained the benefits of the flouride treatment to him). She did say that the over crowding isn't a big issue right now but could be once his permanent teeth start coming in.

                                      

In other news...we're offically getting rid of the thumb and the paci.  Caedmon is a thumb sucker, always has been. Dr. Howard took one look in his mouth and said "let me guess...thumb sucker." I know thumb sucking isn't the best and neither is the paci, but our Pediatrician had never shown great concern so I assumed that like many other baby/toddler habits, they would out grown the need to suck something (get your minds out of the gutters folks). 

Apparently, it’s pretty bad . In just the last 12 months Caedmon's skeletal profile has severely shifted due to his thumb sucking; the kid has a nasty overbite (I think it's rather cute personally).  I thought the thumb sucking was getting better, you know just mindless thumb sucking while watching TV or when tired/at bedtime. But the damage is done and continues to get worse the more he sucks his thumb. He's been referred to a pediatric orthodontist and he’ll most likely a thumb sucking appliance placed in the roof of his mouth so he can’t create a suction. Sav is beginning to show the same signs. Dr. Howard said it’s pretty uncommon for both kids to show signs of their profile shifting so greatly at their age, but my kids are the lucky ones I suppose.

In the scheme of things, I am grateful it's only their teeth and it's completely correctable (err..well for the most part). It could be worse; we could be dealing with a terminal illness not just a cute, nasty overbite on a four year old.

No comments: