Tuesday, June 8, 2010

You just don't even know...

We hit the pool up yesterday for the first time (we’d promised Savannah the pool and a nice long bath as soon as her cast came off). Everything was going well over in Kiddie pool land. Caedmon was playing with some boys about his age; you know throw the pool stick and the kids splash through the water trying to be the first to retrieve it. Savannah was cautiously walking through the pool. She’d been really hesitant to get in the 1.5’ deep pool, but was slowly warming up.

I’m seated on the edge of the pool, feet in the water, scanning back and forth, one child to the other. My area of concern was more Caedmon than Sav; I’m paying him a little more attention (since they are rough housing in water and he can manage in 1.5’ water, but it still makes me nervous). Plus there is a life guard on duty in the baby pool section, extra eyes, right? Yeah, no.

I’m watching the boys, then slowly look over toward the right of the pool and see a blue and white thing bobbing in the water. I quickly look around for the only girl in the pool and don’t see her. Then I realized that’s her bathing suit pattern, OMG her head is under the water. Panic ensues.

I remember looking up at the Lifeguard who was probably 4 feet from her while I’m at the other end of the pool (probably 10-12 feet from her); he’s not looking at the pool, he’s looking at a couple moms. Crap, what do I do? Okay, get her out. That’s right; I need to get her head out of the water. How long has she been under? It hasn’t been that long since I last saw her walking…no more than 10 seconds…I think. Maybe it was longer, maybe I just don’t remember.

All this is running through my mind as I’m pushing kids right and left out of my way, trampling through 1.5 ft deep water. As I approach her I could see her trying to base her feet on the pool floor and stand up, but she kept slipping. I grab her; yes her head was definitely under water. Lift her up; she’s out of the water. I look over at the lifeguard to see if any of this has registered in his head…didn’t my splashing through the pool catch his attention? No, apparently those moms are more interesting.

I press her close to my chest, pat her back, she lets out a scream, I walk back to the edge of the pool and wrap a towel around us. OMG, she’s okay. Damn! Matt’s going to kill me when he finds out what happened. Damn, that lifeguard. Wait, he’s still not paying attention to the screaming 2 year old at the end of the pool. Savannah starts burping, to be expected. OMG, her heart is pounding. My heart is pounding. She’s okay. I’m okay. I’m a real crappy mother.

Out of the corner of my eye I see the shaggy haired, 16 year old boy and his oversized aviators walk up to us. “Is…….she……okay?????” Um, no. She was completely under the water; her bottom was bobbing up and down right in front of you. “Oh.” Yeah, her head was completely submerged under the water. “Oh, well is she going to be okay?” Considering her lungs are working just fine, I think she’s going to be okay. Thanks for your concern….a little too late.

Matt’s reminded me it’s not his fault. I don’t blame him; it’s not her fault she went under. I am concerned about his lack of ability to properly watch the Toddler Pool while there are distracting figures in his presence. I was retrieving my daughter who was head down in the water, just 4 feet in front of him (much closer than where I had been sitting) and he never once caught sight of us. He had no idea she had even been under. No to mention he wasn’t even watching the four year old boys either.

Savannah’s okay. We talked about wearing a life jacket next time and maybe staying closer to me. I will definitely be walking around the pool rather than sitting on the edge, at least for a while, until I can forgive myself. She even got back in the pool after all of this, she wouldn’t let me put her down but she was brave enough to get back in. I wouldn’t be surprised if her first memory is of this. I know I’ll never get that image out of my head, ever.

PS. I know I'm late with my Traces of Summer picture of the week. I will get to it, I promise.

PPS. I doubt there will be a 10 on Tuesday this week. If I can find time I'll post something. Sorry AC!

5 comments:

AC said...

Ugh! Poor Sav!!! Glad she is okay and hope you recover soon too ;) Don't worry about 10/Tues...

Jeremy said...

It's definitely scary. Back in high school when I was a lifeguard at the Y in Henderson, a toddler slipped under while I was in the office with my boss, mother letting out a blood curdling scream two feet from her. It felt surreal, the amount of time it took me to realize what in the hell was going on. I bolted out of the office, leaped into the pool, fully dressed and scooped the poor little girl out of the water. She looked scared to death. Not to toot my own horn, but that lifeguard needs to be reported. He'll know better next time.

Jill and Paul Johnson said...

Ok I think I can breath again but I might have bad dreams. Poor thing you are lucky I wasn't there! That life guard would have had a nice imprint of my hand on his face. And I bet he would be fired too. The nerve whooo I am flaming!! Give her a hug for me!

Chillin' with Lemonade said...

Gasp. And breathe. 1234. Breathe. I'm a lifeguard now at work and it's the most terrifying thing to see something like that. She'll be swimming in no time though. I'm so proud of both of you for going back in. You did good, mama. Some moms don't even watch the pool.

Tiff said...

OH MY LORD!!!!!!!! This post gave me goose bumps and simply broke my heart! A. YOU ARE NOT a bad mom! B. CRAPPY life guard!!! C. What a brave little girl! Thank GOD she is OK!!! HUGS!