Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Patty's Day.

We went out last night, Matt and I. It was St. Patrick’s Day. I can’t remember the last time I went out on St. Patrick’s Day. I don’t remember it being such an “adult holiday”. Anyway, we met up with a lovely couple who are tying the knot in about 6 weeks. Do you remember what it was like planning your wedding? Excited to plan it, anxious the day of, and relief and sadness when it was over. Isn’t that how most everything in life works out?

Back to St. Patrick’s Day, we skipped the local Irish pub and headed to the Asian restaurant across the street. I’ve said it so many times, I wish I liked sushi. Maybe it’s the smell, maybe the texture, maybe a combination…I just can’t do it. I gag, I make awful faces, I dry heave when I’m done swallowing and swear I will never eat it again; all the while wishing I did like it. It seems like such a trendy food to eat. But last night, I moved out of my comfort zone – I ate the bagel roll and the shiki crunch. I know it’s not like I chowed down on sea earchin or even tuna for that matter, but it’s a big step for me.

Then we headed over to the Irish pub…yeah, big crowds in a tent, a bunch of strangers, excuse me drunk strangers…it was past 9 at this point. I’d been up since 5:15am. Maybe I was tired, maybe I was out of my element, maybe I was being rude – but I wanted nothing more than to crawl into my bed and snuggle down beneath the covers – my safe spot, my home, back to my comfort zone.

And then the alarm went off at 5:10am; time to do it all over again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Am I the only parent out there that did not know I wasn't supposed to ruin the mystery of the Leprechaun? Apparently while Caedmon's class was out of the classroom yesterday, the magical Leprechaun made a giant mess in their classroom, leaving behind gold coins. When Caedmon finished telling me this story he said "but I didn't catch any Leprechauns today". My innocent response: "that's okay kiddo, Leprechauns don't really exist. It's just a character in a story people tell."

Damn, I might as well have told him Santa wasn't real, the Easter bunny doesn't exist, and you can forget the tooth fairy leaving you anything under your pillow.


2 comments:

Erica Walters said...

The leprechaun story is hilarious..that just made my day:)..kids are so funny sometimes about what they believe..Landon was talking about some character in a story today like it was his best friend..oh well, I don't think the leprechaun is one of the "important" ones:)

brrr1984 said...

LMAO! They do the leprechaun stuff here too!