Taken from Domestic Simplicity
1. Most memorable childhood gift from Santa: Definitely my long, wool coat. It was just like my 1st grade teacher’s, Ms. Tomazack, and that was all I wanted that year for Christmas.
2. Best childhood Christmas memories: We had a rule in our house that we couldn’t get up until 6am. So my sisters and I would grab our stockings, bring them back to our bedrooms and sort through our stocking stash. At 5:59am we’d start making our way to our parent’s room and then once the clock turned 6am, we’d run in their room saying Merry Christmas!
3. It’s Not Christmas Without: A Christmas Eve service, Mistletoe candles (from Yankee Candle), baked goods, a nativity scene, and being with your family. I do have to say that what makes Christmas “Christmas” has definitely changed for me since having Caedmon and Savannah.
4. Favorite Christmas Cookies: Anything you have to use a cookie cutter to make.
5. Ickiest Christmas Memory: I honestly can’t think of one (maybe I just block out the bad ones). I’d have to say this one maybe…Matt’s home with the kids and I’m working straight through Christmas Eve. It stinks and every morning Caedmon comes downstairs as I’m about to make my coffee, he helps me make it and then he asks me to stay home with them. It kinda breaks my heart…no actually it does break my heart.
6. Our Church Service: Growing up we always did the Christmas Eve service at the church I grew up in. There were Christmas hymns, communion and everyone had a candle that was lit at the end of the service. This year we’re going to the Christmas Eve service at the church we belong to now. The service will be in a barn, the music (live music) is always great, so I’m really excited about it.
7. Christmas Pet Peeve: That Christmas decorations come out before Thanksgiving. Oh and that I feel the need to buy more, regardless of the fact that the stockings are overflowing and we already have so much more than a lot of people. ETA - I just thought about this...for me Christmas is about Christ (we do "believe" in Santa Claus as well). For a lot of people Christmas is about Santa Claus. I think I'm bummed a little by the people who don't celebrate the religious aspect Christmas nor do they "believe" in Santa Claus. In my opinion, they celebrate Christmas for selfish reasons (the gifts).
8. Favorite Christmas CD: It varies. This year I’m definitely enjoying various holiday music I have on my Pandora account. One of my favorites is Faith Hill, Where are you Christmas. But really I have a special place in my heart for church-style Christmas hymns.
9. Real or Fake: Real (and all the freaking mess that comes with it)
10. I Spend Christmas Eve: It varies, but it’s always spent with family and taking in a Christmas Eve service no matter where we are. This year we’ll have Christmas Eve dinner at my mother in law’s house and then we’ll head over to the Hart’s Barn for the Christmas Eve service. We may take in some lights, read a couple Christmas books to the kids, tuck them in and then begin toy construction!
1 comment:
oh, i cried at the part about making coffee with Caedmon....
Post a Comment