Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When did he grow up?

I find myself asking this question a lot these days about Caedmon. Last night before bed (after I had mentioned it 5 times), he remembered he needed to brush his teeth (oh really, you remembered? It wasn't my nagging that could have caused this?). So off he goes to the bathroom and closes the door in Matt's face.

Matt opens the door and Caedmon quickly shouts "get out of here". So Matt closes the door, but leaves a little crack. For the next 3 minutes (seemed like an eternity) Matt and I stood on the outside of the bathroom door, peeping through this crack, watching him do everything himself.

He had his little stool out, got his toothbrush and toothpaste, turned the water on and off all by himself. But it was how we spent the next 2+ minutes that really tugged at my heart strings. He stood there looking at himself in the mirror, brushing his teeth....brushing the top ones, the bottom ones, the back ones...and doing it all over again just like we've shown him time and time again.

He's not even 3 yet.

I'm so proud of him, but what I wouldn't give to hold my newborn son in my arms just once more.

2 comments:

Dana Corey said...

Such a cute post. I am so dreading the day I realize James is a big boy.

Brianne said...

I had a similar event myself last night. Taryn had gone potty and I told her that when she was done she needed to put on her pull-up and jammies that I laid out. I didn't hear a peep from her so I went to check on her. She was all dressed, everything was right-side-out and not on backwards. PLUS she was in the process of fixing her toothbrush. I was amazed. I only told her what to do ONCE! They really are miniature people sometimes! :)