Friday, December 5, 2008

A personal accomplishment

I ran 5 miles....at once! Woohoo! Some maybe thinking "really? 5 miles", but that is a big deal for me. I did it on my own too, just me and my ipod!

I've been running on the treadmill at the YMCA for a while now, but I've never said "Hey I'm going to run for a whole 60 minutes" (I normally stick to 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights), but I was feeling rather adventurous so I went for it and I DID IT!!!

Okay fine, it was more like 4.95 miles in 60 minutes and I was hauling butt for the last minute and a half trying to reach either 4.97 or 5 miles.

Why 4.97 miles you ask? Well in March I'm running in an 8k (it's my attempt to get back to 1/2 marathon shape slowly). 8k is 4.97 miles. So, more or less...I ran my 8k last night in 60 minutes (okay okay, minus the .02 miles).

I'm still super darn proud of myself and for the fact that I could kick it up at the end by a good 1.5MPH and try to reach 5 miles in 60 minutes and I didn't die - that, my dear, is an accomplishment on my part.

Of course I spent the rest of the night sick to my stomach. I don't know if it was the running, something I ate, or a little of both - but it was not pleasant and I was in bed by 7:30. I'm feeling 100% better today though.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Someone in my house has a birthday this weekend (it's not Matt, not Caedmon - although he wishes it was, and it's not Savannah, so ????)!!! No big plans to my knowledge.
Matt mentioned having some of his police academy buddies over for a few games of poker tonight.

Tomorrow I think we may head over to Chick Fil A for breakfast with Santa Cow (don't worry I'll take pictures of this rare species). Tomorrow night we're going to see A Christmas Carol starring Ira David Wood at the new Durham Performing Arts Center with our favorite friends Amanda and Bryan.

Sunday- well we may play a little hookey from church, have a relaxing morning. The Giants play at 1 - so while Matt watches that I'll head to the Y. Then we have our 2nd to last Financial Peace Univeristy (Dave Ramsey class) from 5-7. Nothing too fabulous but when you are turning 28 it tends to just be another birthday. It's not like I'm turning 20 again...for those of you who remember how that night played out. Ughhhhh - I try to forget, but the few hours and flashbacks I remember - it was a good time. And yes I said 20, not 21st birthday!

Be safe this weekend.

2 comments:

Libby said...

Congrats on your run! That's MUCH BETTER than I could do (by about 5 miles) - way to go! You should be proud of yourself! That's HUGE!

Have an AWESOME weekend too!

creative gal said...

YEAH on your run!! :o) Go girl, go!