Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Home Cookin'

In an effort to lower costs around our house, I've taken up cooking! Yes that is right, cooking. You're probably wondering what the heck we've been eating for the last 4 years....cereal, eggs, pancakes, boxed dinners, frozen food....the easy stuff.

I'm actually enjoying menu planning and the cooking portion. Not everything has been super yummy, but Matt's been a good sport, Savannah will eat anything, and Caedmon ... no comment.

I decided to share a couple recipes with you from the last week. Matt's favorite was the Chicken Enchiladas and I think I preferred the Chicken and Dumplings.

Chicken Enchiladas - recipe provided by Amanda Clements:
2 chicken breasts
Approx 8 flour tortillas
1 can of Enchilada sauce (I used Medium on the spicey factor)
1 jar of Salsa (Mild)
1 pack of instant Uncle Ben's white rice
Shredded Cheese (we used a Mexican blend)

* Cut the Chicken breasts up and cook in a pan on the stove
* In a bowl mix the salsa, microwaved rice (microwave it first) and chicken.
* Spoon the above mixture into the tortillas and wrap them (I fold the sides in first, then roll) and place in a 8"x12" dish.
* Pour the Enchilada sauce over the tortillas
* Top w/ the shredded cheese.
* Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Chicken and Dumplings: Crock Pot Style
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
Frozen peas and carrots

* Place the chicken, butter, and soup in a slow cooker. Fill with water or chicken broth for more flavor until the chicken is fully covered.
* Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High.
* About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
* Mix it up, flake the chicken (it should just about fall apart on it's own), and serve!
It's great on a cold day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sometimes use the Kraft Foods "1 Bag, 5 Dinners" - the idea is that they provide a grocery list and recipes for 5 meals. (http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Dinner/1Bag5Dinners/1Bag5DinnersLanding.aspx) Some of the weeks of dinners are more kid friendly than others...
:-)
Crissie

Anonymous said...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Dinner/1Bag5Dinners/1Bag5DinnersLanding.aspx

I got cut off before!

Dana said...

I am definitely going to try the chicken and dumplings. I'll send you some easy recipes!