Friday, July 11, 2008

What's in a name?

We are often asked about Caedmon's name. "Is it a family name"..."How did you decide on Caedmon"..."His name is what?"

So here you go.

There is a Christian band called "Caedmon's Call". Shortly after Matt and I were engaged we were in Charlotte for a weekend and a song came on the radio by Caedmon's Call. I asked Matt if he knew what Caedmon meant or how it related to Christianity; he didn't. So a few weeks later, being a girl, I decided to google "Caedmon" for it's meaning. Come to find out Caedmon means 'Wise Warrior' in Celtic. Taking into consideration Matt's love for Martial Arts, Caedmon/Wise Warrior, was perfect. Cole is Matt's middle name and Matt's maternal Grandmother's maiden name. Thus Caedmon Cole.

Savannah was a little bit harder. She was our surprise baby (as in we didn't know what we were having until she was born). We kept her name a secret from everyone and surprisingly I didn't blab! When I was pregnant with Baby #1, the girl name was Emory Lake. We still liked this name when I became pregnant with Baby #2, but it wasn't working for me. If this baby was to be a girl I wanted a soft, feminine name and Emory seemed a little to 'hard'. Savannah is just a name that both Matt and I agreed on and trust me there are very few names that we do agree on. Savannah (with the 'h' is the English form meaning "from the open plain"). Lake is my middle name, my Dad's middle name, and I believe my Nana's father's name (did you follow that). So Savannah Lake it was!

No comments: